Learn how to initiate a video call with one or more other people from a browser window on a computer, mute audio and hide video, and how to end a video call with others.
- [Instructor] If you have a camera attached to your computer, and you'd like to have a face-to-face conversation with one or more people who also have a camera attached to their computer or device, you might consider starting a video call. A video call can be started a couple of different ways. One option, is to go right to the video call button in the center of the screen. Give it a click. A new window will open up. Your camera on your computer or device will be activated. I can see myself in the background. And you'll be prompted to type in the names or emails of people you'd like to invite to this video call.
Entering names are going to be people who are contacts. And, if you don't have them in your contacts, you can add their email to invite them. At their end, they'll receive an invitation to your call, which they can accept or decline. Now, that's just one option. I'm going to close this up, and close up this video window. Because, there is another option. If you're already having a conversation, you can turn it into a video call. Just go to start a new conversation, choose the person you want to have the conversation with, or have had a conversation with.
And go to the top left corner of that chat window, and click the video call icon. It's going to start up a new video call. And it looks like Karen's answered the call. Hi Karen. So, she's on the call, and we're ready to chat back and forth at this point. But, let's say somebody walks into her office, and she doesn't want me or others who may be on the call seeing what's going on, she can tap the video icon at the bottom of her screen. You can see it here on mine. Tapping it, for her, on her device, hides her.
So, all I'm seeing now is her profile picture. She can still hear what's going on in the conversation, still be part of it. If she doesn't want us hearing what's going on at her office, she can also mute her microphone. And that's the other icon we see at the bottom of the screen on the left-hand side. Tapping that means that we won't be able to hear what's going on, but she is still part of our conversation. At any time, she can unmute those, if she wants to. Or, simply sit back and listen to what's going on during the video call. Now at any time, you can end the video call by simply going to the red button, down at the bottom center.
The person who's on the call can tap that to leave. If Karen goes to the bottom, right now, and taps that red icon to hang up, she'll leave the conversation. You can see "Karen has left the call." That means, if I'm all by myself, I might want to end the call at this point too. So, I'm going to go ahead and do that. There's the record of the video call. And if you wanted to, you could've come over here to "Add More People". Adding people to the call, means you can have multiple people having a conversation at one time.
Let's see what it's like to be invited to a call. We'll do that next.
- Touring the Hangouts interface
- Starting one-on-one text chats and group text chats
- Archiving a text chat
- Starting a video call
- Sending a message during a call
- Changing video call settings
- Making phone calls with Hangouts
- Touring the Hangouts UI on a mobile device
- Setting up contacts
- Customizing Hangout preferences
- Using keyboard shortcuts in Hangouts