Learn how to start a conversation with someone on your recent conversations list on a mobile device, as well as start a new conversation with someone not on the list by typing out their email address.
- [Narrator] When you're ready to start a new text messaging conversation with someone here in Google Hangouts on a mobile device, you have a couple of options. Firstly, you can simply tap the name of the person you had a previous conversation with. I'm going to tap Sandie, and go down to the bottom, tap where it says Send a message and start typing. Notice, when you press return, it adds blank lines. Instead of hitting return on a mobile device, you'll tap the send icon that appears in green with the little paper airplane there, give it a tap, and off it goes.
So, that goes off to Sandie and you can continue your conversation with that person. If you prefer to start a new one with someone who's not on the list, you tap the plus sign down in the bottom right-hand corner of the conversations pane here in on the left. Tapping that gives you access to those frequent people, but also gives you access to the field at the top where you can enter a name, phone number, or email. So, I'm going to type in someone I'd like to start a conversation with.
Krystle, here she is at the top, Valerija, and tapping her name starts a new conversation with her. Down at the bottom, all I'm going to do is tap to send a message, and ask are you there? And when I hit the send icon, off it goes to her. Let's go see if she is there. It looks like she is, and she's going to type out a message. And that comes back to me.
You can see the conversation's now underway. Very simple to start a new conversation, either with someone you've already been conversing with, or to start a new one and search for somebody that you'd like to start a conversation with from scratch. Now, when you're done, there's really nothing to do. I'm going to just collapse the keyboard at this point, and you'll notice it just stays there as a recent conversation showing up over here on the left-hand side along with the others. And you can see, it is going on now, but when we're done we simply leave it.
Now, at Krystle's end, she can go and close up the conversation if she's say, on her computer, and she can even delete the conversation from her list, and that's what she's doing right now, deleting it, confirming the deletion, and I don't see anything happening here on my mobile device, so it's a little bit different when working with a mobile device in conversations, but it's quite simple to get started when you need to converse with people using text messaging on the go thanks to Google Hangouts.
- Touring the Hangouts interface
- Starting one-on-one text chats and group text chats
- Archiving a text chat
- Starting a video call
- Sending a message during a call
- Changing video call settings
- Making phone calls with Hangouts
- Touring the Hangouts UI on a mobile device
- Setting up contacts
- Customizing Hangout preferences
- Using keyboard shortcuts in Hangouts