Learn how to use text messaging within a video chat to hold a conversation with another participant on the side without interrupting the video call.
- There may be times when you're on a video call…with one or more people,…perhaps someone's deep in conversation or presenting…and you want to send a message out to the group…without interrupting the flow of the conversation…or the presentation.…In that case, you might want to use text or chat.…That can be thrown in on top of your video call,…that's what we're going to do here in this movie.…You can see, I'm showing up in the bottom right-hand corner,…and Sandie, over here,…is the last person to be talking,…so that's why she shows up on my screen.…I want to send a message out to people,…and as I move my mouse around,…you can see this little chat icon over here…in the left-hand corner shows up,…same as clicking the ellipses or More Options…up here in the top-right and selecting Chat.…
It's going to open up this area in the bottom-left corner…where I can start to type in a message.…Need to leave soon.…And when I press enter, that'll go out to the entire group.…You can see it shows up here on my screen,…I'm just going to switch over to Sandie who sees it…
- Recognize the various components of the Hangouts interface.
- Describe how to archive a text chat.
- Explain the process of joining a video call.
- Summarize how to change video call settings.
- Identify the process of starting a Hangout chat on a tablet.
- Recall how to determine whether someone is available to have a conversation in Hangouts.
- Cite the steps you go through to change your profile picture.
Skill Level Intermediate
Google Docs Advanced Tips and Trickswith Jess Stratton58m 18s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Google Hangouts
2. Messaging and Text Hangouts
3. Video and Phone Hangouts
4. Hangouts on Mobile Devices
5. Set Up Contacts
6. Set Hangout Preferences
Change your profile picture3m 50s
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.