Learn how to tell whether someone you want to start a conversation with is available and online to chat immediately, or unavailable, and at which time an invitation to start a conversation will be sent.
- [Instructor] When you're ready to have a video call, phone call, or even just text message, with one of your contacts, they may or may not be ready to have a conversation with you. In other words, they may not be online and ready to accept your invitation instantaneously. While the good news is you can tell who is online and who is not, who you'll be able to start a conversation with immediately and who you'll have to send an invitation to and hope for the best. Let's check it out here. You can see I'm logged in as Sandie.
And Sandie's going to go to her contacts. Clicking contacts shows the two that she has. There's David Rivers, and there's Krystle down below. You can see the difference. David, that's me, has this little green circle because he's online, and clicking New Conversation or the name here and choosing David means an immediate conversation can happen. Going down to Krystle and clicking here to start a conversation with her would result in an invitation being sent and then she would have to be online at some point to accept the invitation and start the conversation with you.
So let's see what it's like to choose someone who's not online. Notice it says start a conversation. Let's chat on Hangouts. So that's the invitation that's going to be sent. So let's close this up, actually better yet, we'll go to the settings icon and delete the conversation since it never happened. Now if she wants to have a conversation with David, clicking that name because there's a green circle actually starts the conversation. You can see histories often in this case. Something we talked about in an earlier movie. So we're not actually storing the conversation, but she can start typing and conversing with David using chat or video, for example, even adding additional people to the conversation.
So long as they're online they'll be able to join right away. So here she goes. Hi David, can you chat? She hits Enter, and the message goes off to David. Just going to check out his little window here that's opened up with an instant message from Sandie. So it's an instant conversation because David, myself, happen to be online when the conversation was started.
Sure, go ahead. And off it goes, and there's Sandie receiving my message, and of course at anytime, sending an invitation out to people means they'll receive the invitation either in their Gmail account. They can look at their email to see that the invitation was sent and received, and join the conversation at that point. You also have the ability to set how you can be contacted. In other words, can you be contacted to have an immediate conversation on the fly, or would you prefer to have an invitation sent, and people not just interrupting you? That's something we'll talk about in the next movie.
- Recognize the various components of the Hangouts interface.
- Describe how to archive a text chat.
- Explain the process of joining a video call.
- Summarize how to change video call settings.
- Identify the process of starting a Hangout chat on a tablet.
- Recall how to determine whether someone is available to have a conversation in Hangouts.
- Cite the steps you go through to change your profile picture.