Learn how to set your status to show if you should be contacted directly or not to start a new conversation, and change settings for how people can contact you to start a new hangout.
- [Instructor] Well, we already know when people are online…and you look at them on a conversation list…or in your contacts and see that green dot…next to their profile picture,…it means they're online and available…for you to start a conversation,…whether it be a video call,…phone call or text messaging immediately.…That also means if you're online…they're going to see you with that green dot…and can start a conversation with you immediately,…but there may be times…when you don't want to be interrupted,…for example, you're going into a meeting with your computer,…you don't want to hear these audio notifications…and windows popping up to start new conversations.…
There are things you can do to deter that from happening.…That's what we're going to do in this movie…by going over here to the ellipses or More icon.…Click there to open up the menu and select Settings.…The first thing you might want to do…is share your status.…By going up here into the Share Your Status field…and clicking, you can do things like…let people know you're in a meeting.…
- Recognize the various components of the Hangouts interface.
- Describe how to archive a text chat.
- Explain the process of joining a video call.
- Summarize how to change video call settings.
- Identify the process of starting a Hangout chat on a tablet.
- Recall how to determine whether someone is available to have a conversation in Hangouts.
- Cite the steps you go through to change your profile picture.
Skill Level Intermediate
Google Docs Advanced Tips and Trickswith Jess Stratton58m 18s Intermediate
1. Get Started with Google Hangouts
2. Messaging and Text Hangouts
3. Video and Phone Hangouts
4. Hangouts on Mobile Devices
5. Set Up Contacts
6. Set Hangout Preferences
Change your profile picture3m 50s
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.