At the end of this video, you'll be able to record a macro in Google Sheets to automate a repetitive task.
- [Instructor] If you're finding…that you're doing a repetitive task on a spreadsheet,…consider recording a macro…to help you automate the task and save time.…Recording a macro is as simple as recording yourself…doing the task you'd like to automate.…Google Sheets will allow you to save that task…and play it back when you need it.…I'll show you how to record a macro…on my sales chart from March of 2014.…I found that I'm spending a lot of time formatting…and doing mathematical computations…on new columns on my monthly sales chart spreadsheets.…
So I'll go ahead and record myself doing repetitive tasks…so I can have Google Sheets run them in the future.…At the top of the sheet, I'll click the Tools menu,…select Macros, and select Record macro.…The first thing I'll do is make sure…Use relative references is selected…so that I can use my macro in different locations…on this spreadsheet and other sheets.…So the task I want to automate is creating…a Total Cost column on my sales chart spreadsheets.…
So in column G, I'm going to name this column Total Cost.…
- Navigating Google Sheets
- Creating, naming, and saving spreadsheets
- Importing files
- Converting other file formats such as Microsoft Excel to Google Sheets
- Editing cells
- Inserting, deleting, and moving rows and columns
- Adding hyperlinks and images
- Formatting data
- Using formulas and functions
- Sharing spreadsheets
- Using the Google Sheets mobile app
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/17/2018. What changed?
A: We revised five videos to reflect the latest features and enhancements in Google Sheets.
Q: This course was updated on 10/17/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover customizing your printed spreadsheet and automating tasks with recorded macros.
1. Getting Started with Google Sheets
2. Creating Spreadsheets
3. Editing Spreadsheets
4. Viewing and Printing Spreadsheets
5. Formatting Spreadsheets
6. Working with Spreadsheet Data
7. Collaborating with Google Sheets
Commenting on a spreadsheet3m 26s
8. Using the Google Sheets Mobile App
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.