Join Corey Koberg for an in-depth discussion in this video When to use filters vs. segments, part of Advanced Google Analytics.
- [Voiceover] One of the things you've by no doubt…seen now in Google Analytics…is that there's more than one way…to accomplish similar things.…You can slice and dice the data from different ways…to get just the right take in the data.…Now, many times a day it'll end up the same way,…it's just that one way is faster or more scalable.…I do want to spend some time in this section…talking about this idea of the right tool for the job.…One of those tools we looked at was filters,…and now we've looked at segments.…They perform a similar role in…manipulating the data that we see in the reports.…So let's take a look for a minute now…at how we might accomplish the same thing…in two different ways.…First, let's say I'm responsible for analyzing the blog.…
And I want to create a filter…to examine just the blog traffic.…So I can do that with a filter, of course.…I head over here to my filters,…and I've got one here, Include only /blog/.…What I've got is a predefined filter,…I'm going to do, of course, the Include only,…traffic to the subdirectories that begin with /blog.…
Learn how to set your account up for multiple users, structure properties and views, and configure the back end of Google Analytics—including a popular WordPress CMS plugin for automating tracking code on WordPress pages. Corey shows how to apply advanced filters and segments (and customize them to fit your needs) and import custom data sets. He also covers debugging and troubleshooting techniques that allow you to fix Google Analytics issues from under the hood, and he reviews the major segmentation and analysis pitfalls to avoid.
Note: This course picks up where Google Analytics Essential Training leaves off. If you have any questions about how Google Analytics works straight out of the box, see those tutorials for more information.
- Setting up a Google Analytics account for multiple users
- Working with the WordPress CMS plugin
- Using custom and advanced filters
- Debugging and troubleshooting Google Analytics
- Using the advanced Tag Assistant
- Setting up advanced segments: custom, user, and sequenced segments
- Avoiding segmentation pitfalls
- Generating better reports and insights from Google Analytics
- Importing custom data