Join Corey Koberg for an in-depth discussion in this video Segmentation pitfalls: Users vs. sessions, part of Advanced Google Analytics.
- [Voiceover] By now, you've heard me say…that segmentation is critically important,…and I've shown you some examples…that probably look easy enough, but in the next few videos,…my goal is to help you avoid some frustration…and potentially devastating mistakes…that nearly everyone gets wrong.…And that certainly includes myself,…as I've learned a few of these the hard way.…Worst case, you go through these,…you've committed no errors, and you can sleep at night…knowing your analysis is correct.…Okay, now the first pitfall takes us back…to this concept of "users versus sessions",…and because it's so important to understand this,…let's take a quick recap at how users,…sessions, and hits all work together.…
So at the topmost level, we have the user.…This is your login.…In my case, it's CoreyK here, and it's going…to be a collection of sessions.…So in this case, we've got a session here…that started on May 12th at 2:00 P.M.,…and we've got a session here that started…June 6 at 3:00 P.M.…Inside of those sessions are all the individual hits…
Learn how to set your account up for multiple users, structure properties and views, and configure the back end of Google Analytics—including a popular WordPress CMS plugin for automating tracking code on WordPress pages. Corey shows how to apply advanced filters and segments (and customize them to fit your needs) and import custom data sets. He also covers debugging and troubleshooting techniques that allow you to fix Google Analytics issues from under the hood, and he reviews the major segmentation and analysis pitfalls to avoid.
Note: This course picks up where Google Analytics Essential Training leaves off. If you have any questions about how Google Analytics works straight out of the box, see those tutorials for more information.
- Setting up a Google Analytics account for multiple users
- Working with the WordPress CMS plugin
- Using custom and advanced filters
- Debugging and troubleshooting Google Analytics
- Using the advanced Tag Assistant
- Setting up advanced segments: custom, user, and sequenced segments
- Avoiding segmentation pitfalls
- Generating better reports and insights from Google Analytics
- Importing custom data