In this video, Adriaan Brits covers the different metacharacters Google recognizes in regex, or regular expressions. Learn the backslash, pipe, question mark, parentheses, square brackets, dashes, and more.
- [Instructor] In order to learn how to speak regex,…it's best to learn the regex metacharacters first.…So, let's start with the backslash.…The backslash works as a bridge…between regular expressions and plain text.…It's the most used regex character…for its convenience to escape character.…Escaping a character means that…it converts a regular expression character…into plain text.…
More specifically, a backslash indicates…that the character should be interpreted literally…and not as a regex character.…A backslash with a dot, for example,…indicates that the dot should be interpreted…as a period…or a decimal…rather than a regular expression character.…Another example, as you can see at the bottom…of your screen,…is when we have a certain row of digits…that would match another row of digits…that is written slightly differently.…
If we look at the pipe character,…the pipe means or.…For example, if I'm a wine blogger,…I might want to use…the Chardonnay|Merlot expression…with my Google Analytics keywords report…to find examples of searches that…
Note: This course picks up where Google Analytics Essential Training leaves off. If you have questions about how Google Analytics works straight out of the box, see that course for more information.
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Measuring the performance of search engines over time through segmentation
- Doing more with analytics
- Understanding user intent
- Setting up site search
- Using content grouping
- Building customized team reports
- Setting up operational dashboards
- Fault reporting with segmentation
- Conversion rate analysis
- Creating a custom attribution model
Skill Level Advanced
1. SEO Performance Measurement
2. Advanced Setup
3. Doing More with Analytics
4. Advanced Reporting
Set up cross-domain tracking4m 22s
5. Conversion Rate Analysis
6. Conversion Reports
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.