- [Instructor] Search engines rely on links to determine whether your webpages are trustworthy and authoritative. And to earn an uphold that status, it's important to always be on the lookout for new link building opportunities that you can take advantage of. One simple way to find new opportunities is to analyze the backlinks of other sides ranking for a target keyword phrase. The logic here is pretty straight forward. If a webpage is ranking well for the keywords you are targeting, then they must have some good backlinks. By examining their links, we might find some that we like to go after as well to help our own rankings.
Let's take an example and say we want to find new link opportunities for the phrase backpacking tours. The first thing to do is head over to Google and do a search for that term. The top organic results here are ranking high in part because of their on-page optimization, but another strong reason they rank so well is because they have a lot of good links pointing to those pages. What we want to do is analyze who is linking to those pages, determine how they got those links, and create a link outreach strategy to emulate those efforts.
A tool we can use for backlink research is the link explorer, another tool that's part of the Moz Tool Suite. Let's pick one of those top-ranking URLs from the previous search and enter it in using the exact page option. You'll see lots of information about this page, but the inbound link section is what we're concerned with for this exercise. Inbound links list out all the pages linking to the one we're examining. You can play with the various filters to narrow down this list according to different criteria, but for now we're going to focus on active links only, and we're going to sort by linking domains to see the inbound links by domain.
You can examine each of these links, and your goal here is to gain an understanding of whether or not the link would be a good fit for you. And if so, what would be your link outreach strategy? One thing to remember is that you want to build strong quality links to your own site, so try to focus on backlinks with high page authority and or domain authority. Of course you'll want to do this for more than one of those top-ranking competitors, and as you go through these links, be on the lookout for a few different kinds of opportunities.
For example, one thing you may discover are additional directories you might not have been aware of or that you might have missed. Another commonly found opportunity you can take advantage of is guest authoring. This is when you reach out to another website and offer to produce content for their website. This can be a win-win arrangement where the website gets content that helps them and their users, and in return you get both exposure to a new audience as well as a backlink to your site within the content you've produced. This not only helps provided your site with added exposure and potential referral traffic, it can also strengthen industry relationships, provide an outlet for thought leadership, and improve your status in your industry.
You'll also want to be on the lookout for links from nonprofit sites. Many companies will support nonprofit organizations through donations, expertise, or in-kind work, and many times these organizations will link back to your site where ever they highlight their Sponsors and organizations that they work with. Links from these domains are generally considered very trustworthy by their search engines, so you might want to think about what causes are important to your organization, and consider supporting them, or reach out to the nonprofits you're already working with and see if there's an opportunity for a link or story that can be published on their site.
Another great method is to produce high quality educational content to post on your own website for the specific purpose of garnering a link back to it. There are many sites in just about every industry vertical whose primary purpose is to promote industry specific education and guide their users to informative content by creating high quality educational content that fills gaps or even better by creating relationships with these sites to understand what content they're in need of. You'll gain a network of people and pages that are happy to link to you.
Once again, this is a win-win situation where the third party sites get the benefit of directing their readers to trustworthy content and you get the benefit of gaining links from trustworthy and relevant sites. There are many more strategies that can be uncovered from competitor backlink analyze. And the key is to spend the time analyzing what opportunities are out there, and how you can take advantage of them. And remember to repeat this process with a handful of top ranking pages for each of the keywords that you want to rank for. Last, when it comes to building links, quality is much more important than quantity.
So spending the time to analyze and focus on the high quality backlink opportunities will make sure that you are on the path to having a trustworthy backlink profile that will be a long term asset for you and your website.
- Define search engine optimization.
- Explore the fundamentals of reading search engine results pages.
- Examine the essentials of understanding keyword attributes.
- Break down the steps for optimizing the non-text components of a webpage.
- Recognize how search engines index context.
- Explore an overview of long-term content planning strategies and how they can help keep content on your site fresh.
- Define your website’s audience, topics, angle, and style when mapping out your long-term content.
- Identify the steps to take when building internal links within your website.
- Recognize how to analyze links in order to measure SEO effectiveness.
- Break down the necessary components for understanding local SEO.