Join Corey Koberg for an in-depth discussion in this video Cohort analysis via advanced segments, part of Advanced Google Analytics.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Cohort analysis is a useful technique…and there are a couple different ways…to do it in Google Analytics.…There's a new beta report…specifically designed to cover…cohort analysis…and if that fits your needs…then it should be a good fit.…But for now that specialized report…is a bit limited…in that it really only looks at one cohort type.…But I'm going to demonstrate…a slightly more general approach here,…you might even call it a hack,…using the incredibly powerful…segmentation features,…and that way we can spend some time getting you…even more familiar with that tool,…as well as do some cohort analysis.…Now for those that are unfamiliar…with this type of analysis,…a cohort is a group of people…who are tied together by some common characteristic…and they're almost always grouped…around a certain, defined time period.…
For example, think about seasonal traffic.…An airline might approach a group of folks…flying during the holiday or rush season…as a different set of customers…than you'd see on, say, a random week in April.…
Learn how to set your account up for multiple users, structure properties and views, and configure the back end of Google Analytics—including a popular WordPress CMS plugin for automating tracking code on WordPress pages. Corey shows how to apply advanced filters and segments (and customize them to fit your needs) and import custom data sets. He also covers debugging and troubleshooting techniques that allow you to fix Google Analytics issues from under the hood, and he reviews the major segmentation and analysis pitfalls to avoid.
Note: This course picks up where Google Analytics Essential Training leaves off. If you have any questions about how Google Analytics works straight out of the box, see those tutorials for more information.
- Setting up a Google Analytics account for multiple users
- Working with the WordPress CMS plugin
- Using custom and advanced filters
- Debugging and troubleshooting Google Analytics
- Using the advanced Tag Assistant
- Setting up advanced segments: custom, user, and sequenced segments
- Avoiding segmentation pitfalls
- Generating better reports and insights from Google Analytics
- Importing custom data