Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Levels adjustments, part of Editing GoPro HERO Photos and Videos with Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Let's start with Levels which is easiest…to access inside of Photoshop.…I'll take these three images here…and open them up with Photoshop.…Let's start with the first image here…which is really dark.…I like to work non-destructively,…so I'll click to add an Adjustment Layer for Levels.…When I pull the Middle slider,…you'll note that the mid-tones…get brighter or darker.…That's used by the middle gray.…
If you need the Blacks to get richer,…pull the Black slider in.…Typically, I'll do that so that the edge…of this Histogram is set…and the Black Point lines up.…Pulling in the White slider will start…to clip the highlights.…If you go too far, it really starts to blow out,…so try to avoid the White slider too much.…A little bit of a "pop" will effect the brightness…and this will go after Contrast.…Now typically, once you have that where you want,…you may find it useful to limit…the brightness value of the Whites,…or lighten up the darkest dark.…
Really, these two Output sliders are…for gentle refinement after the fact.…
Author Rich Harrington starts with the basics: importing and organizing photos, correcting distortion, adjusting color and exposure, and getting ready for print. He then moves on to working with video: developing color and exposure with adjustment layers and presets, and then rendering out the adjustments for editing in another application. He wraps things up with a short, fun tutorial on assembling a time-lapse sequence. Start watching and learn the skills you need to get the best-looking footage from the GoPro and other action cameras.
- Importing and organizing stills and video
- Correcting lens distortion
- Repairing color, contrast, and compression artifacts
- Improving exposure
- Boosting saturation and vibrance
- Sharpening and cropping
- Assembling panoramas
- Merging HDR images
- Building time-lapse sequences
Skill Level Intermediate
GoPro: Creative Photography and Video Techniqueswith Paul Taggart1h 21m Appropriate for all
GoPro HERO: Shooting Action Sportswith Richard Harrington1h 9m Intermediate
1. Importing and Organizing Images
2. Correcting Distortion
3. Adjusting Exposure
4. Adjusting Color
5. Getting Images Ready for Print
6. Working with Video Files from GoPro Cameras
7. Assembling a Time-Lapse Sequence
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.