Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Removing compression artifacts, part of Editing GoPro HERO Photos and Videos with Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Often times as you work with an image,…particularly a JPEG file,…it's easy to see compression artifacts.…This will be most visible in areas…with the sky or intense contrast.…Let's open up a JPEG file…and give it a little bit of attention inside Photoshop.…To start, I'll open up this image here,…and it's got a good high-contrast area.…But as we zoom in,…you'll start to notice some areas that are a little flat.…Some of the detail in the rocks here fall apart,…and you'll notice some oversimplification back here.…
Now, I'm at 300% magnification,…so it's easier to see the problems,…but there are definitely some noise issues.…One of my favorite tricks…is to duplicate that layer,…place it in Multiply mode,…a trick I showed you earlier,…and then simply merge those layers together.…Now, I'll apply a Base Exposure adjustment…to get this where I want it to be.…This initial exposure is just so…you get the image properly balanced…from a brightness point of view,…and it will help you spot potential problems.…
You may also want to boost the color a little bit.…
Author Rich Harrington starts with the basics: importing and organizing photos, correcting distortion, adjusting color and exposure, and getting ready for print. He then moves on to working with video: developing color and exposure with adjustment layers and presets, and then rendering out the adjustments for editing in another application. He wraps things up with a short, fun tutorial on assembling a time-lapse sequence. Start watching and learn the skills you need to get the best-looking footage from the GoPro and other action cameras.
- Importing and organizing stills and video
- Correcting lens distortion
- Repairing color, contrast, and compression artifacts
- Improving exposure
- Boosting saturation and vibrance
- Sharpening and cropping
- Assembling panoramas
- Merging HDR images
- Building time-lapse sequences
Skill Level Intermediate
GoPro: Creative Photography and Video Techniqueswith Paul Taggart1h 21m Appropriate for all
GoPro HERO: Shooting Action Sportswith Richard Harrington1h 9m Intermediate
1. Importing and Organizing Images
2. Correcting Distortion
3. Adjusting Exposure
4. Adjusting Color
5. Getting Images Ready for Print
6. Working with Video Files from GoPro Cameras
7. Assembling a Time-Lapse Sequence
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.