There are a few special considerations for opening files that were created in Google Apps and converted into Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files. You will learn about Protected View and Compatibility Mode. Protected View is intended as a safeguard against viruses in files that you download from the web. Compatibility Mode is what you see when you open an Office file that was not saved in the same version of Office that you are running.
- [Instructor] When you take a file from one of…the Google Apps, and you convert and download…it as an Office file, you're going to need to jump…through a few hoops to open it up…and edit it in Office.…It's really not difficult but I want you…to understand what's going on.…So, I'm going to go into the Exercise Files folder…and you can follow along if you have the Exercise Files.…In this subfolder labeled Converted from Google,…I have the same files that we saw…in another movie when I converted…my Google Apps documents to Office documents.…So I'll start by double-clicking…on this Word document to open that up.…
Now in general this looks okay,…but there's something here that does not quite look right.…Up here at the top it says that I'm…opening this file in Protected View.…Office has a way of recognizing that files…have been downloaded from the web,…and of course downloading files from the web…is one of the most common ways to get viruses…on your computer.…So to protect you from possible virus threats,…Office does this with every document…
This course is intended for users of Office 2016 Home & Student, or an Office 365 Home or Student subscription. This course is not intended for Office 365 Business or Enterprise users.
- Downloading files from Google Drive
- Getting familiar with the Office interface
- Collaborating and tracking changes in Word
- Using styles in Word
- Using ribbons for formulas, graphs, and more in Excel
- Creating a presentation
- Working with themes in PowerPoint
- Configuring your Outlook account
- Transferring contacts and calendars
- Using Google Drive and OneDrive for online storage