Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Initiate a video chat, part of Gmail Essential Training.
- In the last video…I showed you how to start a simple text chat,…this time…we'll do a video chat,…which Google calls:…Hangouts.…In the chat window…I'll click on somebody's name.…I've already been chatting with them,…but now let's turn it into a video hangout.…I can send a message right now…and it will go through to him as text,…but to open that video window…I'll click the videocamera icon…in the top left hand side of the screen.…It's going to instantly start calling Nick.…(ringing)…Here I am.…
(ringing)…Hi Nick.…- Hi, how're you doing?…- Good, thanks.…This is the hangout window.…There's some things that I can do here.…I can hang up the call at any time by clicking…the big red phone icon in the middle of the screen,…I can also blank my screen…by clicking the camera icon on the right hand side,…and I can mute my microphone if I need to…by clicking the microphone icon to the left of it.…I can also change my video settings…by clicking the gear icon in the top right hand side…of the sreen.…
Here's where I can change…the default speaker,…
- Changing themes and inbox types
- Composing and sending messages
- Replying to email
- Inserting images and attachments
- Labeling and filtering email
- Creating filters to automatically process messages
- Adding additional email accounts to Gmail
- Creating contacts and contact groups
- Initiating text and video chats
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Accessing Gmail on a mobile device
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 07/30/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the changes to Gmail introduced in summer 2018. Learn about newer features in Gmail, including how to work with Gmail offline, use Smart Reply suggestions, and secure messages with Confidential mode.
1. Get Started with Gmail
Tour the Gmail interface4m 24s
2. Newer Features in Gmail
3. Send, Read, and Reply to Messages
4. Organize and Search Mail
5. Manage Your Gmail Account and Settings
6. Work with Contacts
7. Use Chat
8. Google Labs and Other Add-Ons
9. Keyboard Shortcuts
10. Other Paths to Get to Gmail
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.