Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Create filters to automatically process messages, part of Gmail Essential Training.
- View Offline
- So far I've shown you how to create labels,…move messages out of your inbox into labels,…delete or archive messages,…and even add stars to further visually organize your inbox.…Let's now have this all happen automatically…by creating filters,…that is a rule to automatically process a message.…A filter can move a message, add a star or apply labels,…even delete or forward a message.…It's a way of adding a flow to all your incoming messages.…To start creating a rule, place a check mark next to it…as if you were going to act on it.…
Now click More from the top menu…and select Filter messages like these.…I've selected one of my newsletters, the Skimm.…In the bottom right-hand side…I'll click Create filter with this search.…When a message arrives that comes from the Skimm…there's a few things I want to do.…I'm going to move it into that newsletter label…that we created.…To get it out of the inbox, I'll choose Skip the Inbox,…and now I want to apply a label,…so I'll click Apply the label, and in the drop-down list…
- Changing themes and inbox types
- Composing and sending messages
- Replying to email
- Inserting images and attachments
- Labeling and filtering email
- Creating filters to automatically process messages
- Adding additional email accounts to Gmail
- Creating contacts and contact groups
- Initiating text and video chats
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Accessing Gmail on a mobile device
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Google Docs and Sheets on iOS First Lookwith Nick Brazzi25m 23s Appropriate for all
1. Get Started with Gmail
Tour the Gmail interface4m 24s
2. Send, Read, and Reply to Messages
3. Organize and Search Mail
4. Manage Your Gmail Account and Settings
5. Work with Contacts
6. Use Chat
7. Google Labs and Other Add-Ons
8. Keyboard Shortcuts
9. Other Paths to Get to Gmail
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.