In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to change from a tabbed interface of fully sorted mail to a collapsible view of important mail, starred mail, or all mail.
- [Instructor] You can customize the Gmail inbox…to make it look and function the way…that works the best for you.…It defaults to this tabbed interface,…with your Primary mail in the first tab,…social network updates in the second tab,…and Promotions, such as junk mail and newsletters,…in the third tab.…To change the type, click the gear icon on the top…right-hand side of the screen and choose Settings.…Click Inbox, and here's where I can change the Inbox type.…
The default type was that tabbed interface,…but we can also change it to something…called Important first.…Gmail uses signals, such as people you email frequently…and keywords that come up a lot,…to create an Important inbox for you.…You can train Gmail on what's important and what's not…by using the markers beside the email.…I'll show you Important first.…You can also click Options and designate…how many items you want to show up in this Important view.…You can even hide it when it's completely empty…and there's no important mail in there.…
I can do the same thing for Everything else,…
- Changing themes and inbox types
- Composing and sending messages
- Replying to email
- Inserting images and attachments
- Labeling and filtering email
- Searching for mail
- Adding additional email accounts to Gmail
- Creating contacts and contact groups
- Initiating text and video chats
- Creating autoresponders
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Accessing Gmail on a mobile device
Skill Level Beginner
Google Sheets Essential Trainingwith Sally Norred3h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Get Started with Gmail
2. Send, Read, and Reply to Messages
3. Organize and Search Mail
4. Manage Your Gmail Account and Settings
Explore Gmail settings1m 38s
5. Use Chat
6. Other Gmail Features
7. Keyboard Shortcuts
8. Other Paths to Get to Gmail
Use Gmail offline on Chrome1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.