Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Access Gmail on a mobile device, part of Gmail Essential Training.
- You can access your Gmail via mobile device. I'm on an iPad right now. To access your mail, you have two options. You can use it natively in Settings and you can also use the Gmail app. We'll do both. I'll tap Settings on my iPad. In the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars section on the left side, tap Google. Put in your Gmail Name and Password. Tap Next. Gmail will verify everything and you can decide what aspects of your Google account you wish to add to your mobile device.
In this case, I'm fine with everything being added so I'll tap Save. Your account has been added and now you can use everything natively in the iPad, such as the Calendar app and the built in Mail app. It doesn't take long for all your mail to be downloaded directly to your mobile device. There's one more thing I want to show you. We can also use the Gmail app. This can be downloaded from the Google Playstore or the App Store on an iOS device. I'll tap the Gmail app.
The first thing I need to do is sign in with my Google account. Tap the blue Sign in button and I can either watch a tour on the bottom right hand side of the screen but for now, I'll tap Go to inbox. I'll tap OK to see notifications. As you can see, because this is the Google app, it looks much more like the native Gmail that we've been used to seeing throughout this course. For example, here I can see all my important and unread email that we've been working on throughout this course.
I can tap the three lines at the top of the screen and here's where I can get into more aspects of my email. For example, my Starred mail. I can even see my all mail folder by tapping Everything. I can tap More and get into all my folders that we've been looking at. In fact, even the color of my labels has been brought over to the app. I can tap on an email in the middle of the screen and it will open up and let me see it. From here, I can tap Reply at the bottom of the screen or Forward to send it to somebody else.
That's how easy it is to use the Gmail app on a mobile device. It's up to you whether you want to use the built in Mail app for a device or the special Gmail one.
- Changing themes and inbox types
- Composing and sending messages
- Replying to email
- Inserting images and attachments
- Labeling and filtering email
- Creating filters to automatically process messages
- Adding additional email accounts to Gmail
- Creating contacts and contact groups
- Initiating text and video chats
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Accessing Gmail on a mobile device
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 07/30/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover the changes to Gmail introduced in summer 2018. Learn about newer features in Gmail, including how to work with Gmail offline, use Smart Reply suggestions, and secure messages with Confidential mode.