Glyphs is a speedy, lightweight program that does a great job of creating fonts. But a handful of really skilled designers and programmers have made some great (free!) plugins and scripts that make it even better. This section discusses why scripts are great and how to put them to work.
- [Instructor] In many respects, Glyphs App…is a bare bones tool for making fonts.…The basic font-making functions are there,…but you'll eventually want it to do something…that it just can't, like selecting all glyphs…with the same label color.…That's where filters and scripts come in.…Some very talented individuals have created great extensions…to the Glyphs App that increase its capabilities…and improve your productivity.…Most are available for free via GitHub.…Others are available from the makers via their website.…You'll definitely wanna check out…the Glyphs-Scripts from Mekkablue.…
You can find them here.…Mekkablue provides basic information about the scripts,…as well as instructions for their installation.…There are also great plugins and filters available…directly within Glyphs.…Just select Plugins Manager from the Window menu…and scroll down through the list.…If you see something you like, just click Install.…They're all free, so don't be bashful.…I also recommend checking out RMX font remix tools…from Just Another Foundry.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.