Want to test your kerning skills and learn a little bit in the process? Mark MacKay and Method of Action have created KernType, a game that puts your kerning acumen to the test.
- [Instructor] Kerning takes practice.…The ability to see spaces between letters,…both in isolation and as part of a continuum,…becomes easier the more you do it.…Well, it turns out that there's a great web app…called KERNTYPE from designer, Mark MacKay…that turns kerning practice into a game.…It not only lets you practice on a variety of styles,…but provides feedback and assigns a score for your effort.…Now, two things should be noted.…One, good kerning is about 80% objective…and 20% subjective.…
And two, that the kerning game…is actually more about spacing than kerning,…but the essence is true.…Stare at the space between letters,…and make it as consistent as possible…among all combinations.…Give it a try.…It's easy and only mildly addictive.…If you really wanna geek out,…try it with your designer friends.…It's a fun party game for our ilk,…and you'll probably be amazed to learn…how perfectly rational people…see the same spaces differently.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.