Find out what you should know before watching this course.
- [Instructor] Before you begin this course, you should know how to use a pen tool to create bezier curves. If that sentence gives you pause, don't panic, but do check out Illustrator CC Essential Training, especially chapter five on drawing basic shapes and chapter 11 on working with the pen tool. Justin Seeley does a great job of explaining bezier concepts and the tools used to create them. If you can draw with the pen tool in Illustrator, you can draw with the pen tool in Glyphs, and probably draw better, at least more precisely.
And though I will cover a bit of typographic history, you'd do well to study more on your own. I'd recommend starting with Ina Saltz's Foundations of Typography, especially the chapter four, touching on type design. Ina is a top notch typographer and a wonderful guide, and though it's not essential, you should definitely treat yourself to Doyald Young, Logotype Designer, from the very aptly named Creative Inspiration series. His love of letters, his erudition and talent, and his generosity will doubtless inspire you.
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.