Glyphs has a range of filters ranging from the essential to the esoteric. This section will demonstrate each and provide techniques for effectively incorporating them into your workflow.
- [Instructor] There are eight filters…built into Glyphs, and scores more that can be added…via the plugin manager in scripts folder.…Filters are usually applied in the edit window,…which makes sense, since most of them perform…operations on paths.…But it's also possible to use them in the font window…to apply effects on multiple glyphs.…So I'm gonna double click here…on the lowercase H to open up the edit window.…And let's go up to filters.…So the first filter is fix compatibility.…You'll use this interactive filter…to diagnose and fix problems…with incompatible masters.…
It's covered in the multiple masters section…near the end of the course.…The second filter, hatch outline,…does pretty much that.…It takes an outline as it is…and fills it in with crosshatching.…It can produce some pretty cool effects,…especially when combined with the offset curve filter.…So to get a preview of what's going on here,…we can click outside of any of the dialogue boxes…and just hold down the spacebar.…So, that's a nice, tight crosshatch.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.