A Contextual Alternate is an automated replacement of a characters based on its context. For instance, a font may have diffent forms of the letter t for the middle and ends of words. This section will cover the basics of programming contextual alternates.
- [Narrator] Stylistic Sets are an exciting way of adding…variety and versatility to your fonts.…Whereas ligatures replace two or more letters…with a single glyph,…Stylistic Sets offer replacements for specific letters.…You might want, for instance,…to give users the option of a…single story lowercase A and G.…You can have up to 20 different…Stylistic Sets within a font.…It's possible then to create some variations,…for instance, you can have one Stylistic Set…that replaces the lowercase A with an alternate,…a second that replaces the lowercase g,…and a third that replaces both.…
And Stylistic Sets are incredibly easy to make,…just create the forms and update features.…Starting in the Font window,…I'll duplicate the lowercase A by choosing Glyph,…Duplicate Glyph.…Glyph creates a duplicate with the suffix .001.…I'll replace that suffix with .ss01.…Standing for Stylistic Set 01.…I'll hit Return,…and then go to Font Info to the Features tab,…and I'll make sure that Generate Feature Automatically…is checked, and then just click Update,…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.