Join Charles Nix for an in-depth discussion in this video Spacing numbers, part of Glyphs App Essential Training.
- [Narrator] So now that we've finished the left and right…side-bearings on the uppercase and lowercase,…it's time to turn our attention to the figures.…The numbers in this font are…default tabular lining figures.…That means they should all have the same width,…and if I select the figures here…and hit cmd + t to open up a new edit window,…and just sort of mouse through here,…or use the arrow key to move the cursor,…what we're looking at down here…is the width of the character,…and it should all be consistent,…but as I page through here, you can see…they're all different from one another.…
The widest character in most figure sets…is usually the four, so what I'm gonna do is…copy the width of this four.…Then I'm gonna go back to the Font menu,…and I can set the width value…for all of these figures at the same time…by clicking into the width space over here.…First, make sure all of those figures are selected,…then click into the space for width, and paste.…Now if I go back to the Edit window,…I can see that despite the fact that the spacing is wonky,…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.