Drawing is an excellent method for exploring type ideas. This section discusses the role of drawing as a starting point in an iterative process.
- [Narrator] Drawing is expedient.…It allows you to quickly get your vision into the world,…and it lets you quickly reshape that vision into…something closer to your ideal.…And it's intimate.…You're literally getting to know your letters…by touching them.…The earliest fonts had their models in handwriting.…Johannes Gutenberg copied the black letter…manuscripts of his day,…while Nicholas Jenson followed Renaissance calligraphy.…Copies were made by carving letters directly onto…a piece of hard metal.…The first real test of their letters came from…a smoke proof, make by holding the metal over an open flame…until it was covered in soot,…and then pressing it onto a piece of paper.…
That process is imitated here with a piece of metal type.…With technological advances in the late 19th century…it became possible to cut metal type from a large master…drawing, and the profession of type designer separate…from printer was born.…For the next hundred years designers drew letter forms for…production, sketching and refining to produce very large,…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.