An "instance" is a blend between masters. For example, a light and a bold can be blended to create a medium weight. This section will walk through setting up an instance and adjusting it to achieve a variety of results.
- [Instructor] It's time to put…the Multiple Masters concept into action.…The idea's simple: make Masters, blend Masters.…But the implementation can be a bit opaque,…so let's go through it step by step.…All of the action takes place in Font Info,…so we'll start in the Masters tab.…I'll hit Command + I to open the Font Info,…and Masters is already selected,…but you could click on the tab to select it.…I've populated this file with five Masters,…by using the plus sign, at the lower left,…and choosing Add Master.…But let's recreate this file,…so you would know exactly how it was done.…
Let's close down this info window.…And I'll create a new file by hitting Command + N.…I'm gonna open Font Info one more time,…by hitting Command + I,…and then again, you can click on the Masters tab…if it's not selected, but it's open here,…so let's just go to Add Master.…So I'm going to add four more Masters to this font.…
Now, if I close the Font Info,…and go back to Font View, you can see…that Glyphs has added icons for each…of the Masters here at the top.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.