The line between two extremes in a type family is called an axis. A common axis is between a light typeface and a bold. Another is between a condensed and an expanded. This section will look at choosing and planning for axes in a type family.
- [Instructor] A font can be an individual,…or it can be a member of a family.…Decorative or display fonts are often stand-alone types…with specific purposes or aesthetics,…while fonts used for setting lots of text…generally belong to a family of related designs…that build on a core idea.…A typical font family contains a regular,…or Roman, font for setting text,…and an italic, bold, and bold-italic…for creating emphasis.…A font family can have as few as two members,…like a Roman and italic,…or it can have as many as 50 or more members,…including bolds, italics, semi-bolds,…lights, thins, condensed, compressed, extendeds,…and a variety of other weights and widths.…
When you begin a font project, it's important for you…to do a little family planning.…Decide on how many variations you want or need.…And if you plan to have italics,…develop a separate Glyphs file and keep the measurements…like x-height and Cap Height consistent with the Roman file.…But here's where fonts with multiple Masters…become really exciting.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.