Additional resources: Reading, program extensions (including RMX Tools by Tim Ahrens), online discussions, Facebook pages, and type design organizations.
- [Narrator] In 1922, American typographer…DB Updike published a two volume set…entitled Printing Types.…It's an exhaustive survey…of the first 400 years of typography.…You should read it some day.…I bring it up here not because…it's the essential next step…but to draw attention to its subtitle,…printing types, their history, form, and use.…I've always found that subtitle…to be the perfect description…of the trinity that is typography.…Form is what this course is about.…Making type, forming glyphs.…
Use is what typography means to most graphic designers.…It's the broad expressive quality of typefaces…and the fussy nuances of setting text.…Typographic history is about what it says.…But in a broader sense, it's the typographer's…love of type, the desire to learn more,…and that's what your next steps entail.…Use glyphs to make fonts, sketch, draw,…digitize and generate.…Critique your work and start again.…Use your fonts like you hope and expect others will.…Let use inform your font design and development.…
And study. Learn your history. Delve into theory.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.