Kerning is the adjustment of spaces between specific pairs of letters. Through Kerning Groups, Glyphs lets you apply kerning decisions to groups of pairs based on the similarity of their shapes.
- [Instructor] As we saw in spacing with metric keys,…many letters share profiles.…We can take advantage of this in kerning too…using a Glyphs feature called Kerning Groups.…First, let's look at how we kern in Glyphs.…I'm gonna enter the Edit window…by double clicking on this T,…and I'm gonna type an a next to it.…This is a common kerning pair, so to make it…into a kerning pair, I'll click down here…in the Info dialogue and enter a value,…so let's say negative 10 to start.…
That didn't really do much.…So I'll click in this dialogue box again…and I'll hold down the Shift key…and use the up and down arrows.…So down is going to decrease the space,…and up will increase the space.…So let's knock it down quite a bit.…So any time you enter a value into this Kern box,…Glyphs is creating a kerning pair.…As you would expect, there's a key combination…so you don't have to click into that kerning box.…You can actually just place the cursor…between the two letters and hold down Control and Option…and use the left and right arrow keys…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.