There are some very simple rules for keeping master drawings compatible with one another. Nonetheless, problems sometimes arise. This section will cover the three major pitfalls and how to correct them.
- [Instructor] The more Masters you add to a glyphs file…the more potential there is for them to become incompatible.…Fixing incompatibilities can be vexing, to put it mildly.…I've seen seasoned type professionals…left scratching their heads…about the source of an incompatibility.…As I mentioned in the previous section,…you won't see compatibility problems…unless you have intermediate Instances set up.…That's right.…Unless you're trying to blend Glyphs has no problem…with incompatible Masters.…So in this file I've set up Instances…between each of the Masters.…
I'll hit Cmd + I,…and you can see I have three Masters,…and I have five Instances.…One for each Master and one in between each.…There are four different ways to tell…that Masters are incompatible.…The first one's here in the Font view.…Each of these glyphs has a little pink triangle…on the upper left corner,…that's clue number one.…And when we go into edit view…and double-click on one of these glyphs…you can see a pink bar at the top,…that's clue number two.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.