Fitting and kerning are both about seeing the space between letters. This section describes some precepts and techniques for establishing a good fit for your font.
- [Voiceover] Spacing a font is about establishing a rhythm…by coordinating the spaces between letters.…If all the characters were the same basic shape,…it would be much easier.…But the left and right sides of letters,…what type designers call sidebearings,…have a lot of variety.…Nonetheless, there are some profiles,…like the vertical strokes and round shapes,…which appear often.…In this section, we're going…to coordinate verticals and rounds,…using a feature in Glyphs called Metric Keys.…We're going to start our spacing with the capital H,…because it has vertical strokes…on both the left and the right.…
And we're going to use half of the stroke width…as our basis for sidebearings.…Half, because the space will be doubled…when two Hs are placed next to one another.…We use stroke width as a starting point,…for the simple fact that the alphabet…has a lot of vertical strokes.…And if we're looking for rhythm,…we're going to find it in repetition.…To get the stroke width,…we're going to use the measurement tool.…The measurement tool provides a quick way…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.