Glyphs keeps the most used tools front and center. This video will step through each of them, spending a little bit of extra time on the ones that are unique to Glyphs.
- [Instructor] The 13 tools located in the top menu bar…are accessible when you're in Edit View.…To get to Edit View, I'll double click…on one of the glyphs in Font View.…Most of these tools will be familiar…from your work in Illustrator.…At the left is the select tool.…You can access it by clicking on the icon or hitting V.…It acts like the hollow point tool in Illustrator,…allowing you to click on a point to select it,…or to click and drag to select multiple points.…Unlike Illustrator, the select tool allows you…to select handles on two segments at the same time.…
To demonstrate this, I'll go back to Font View,…and double click on the cap O,…to open up another Edit View.…Now I have three tabs,…one for the A, one for the O, and one for the Font View.…And click on them to go back and forth,…or I can use Shift + Command and the brackets…to move back and forth.…So in Edit View for the O, I can select two handles…at the same time on different curves,…and I can use the arrow keys to nudge them.…Being able to select handles on different curves…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.