Join Charles Nix for an in-depth discussion in this video Drawing letterforms in Glyphs, part of Glyphs App Essential Training.
- [Instructor] While there are many things…that are familiar about drawing in Glyphs,…there are a few important differences…that are unique to Glyphs and drawing type in general.…The first is the concept of Extreme Points.…Curved paths in Glyphs should have a point…at their most extreme in relation…to the horizontal and vertical.…So if we're looking at this letter form C, for instance,…this is the most extreme point in relation…to the horizontal on this curve and over here on the left,…this is the most extreme point on the left.…And down at the bottom, the most extreme point…and the same is true in the counter shape.…
So, while it's possible to draw a glyph…like this one with points in the middle of the segments,…it's considered bad form and will likely…cause problems when you use your font.…Luckily, Glyphs has a tool in the Paths menu…that corrects these problems.…Just select the shape.…Go to the Paths menu.…And choose Add Extremes.…And Glyphs inserts extreme points wherever they're needed.…Now I'm gonna switch to another file…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.