Many would-be type designers have experience with and are comfortable drawing in Illustrator. This section will demonstrate how to move drawings back and forth between the two programs.
- As a new Glyphs user, you might be more comfortable…making your initial drawings in Illustrator…and then pasting them into Glyphs.…The trick to making them work at the right scale…is to duplicate the Glyphs M square in an Illustrator file.…So, let's illustrate that.…Here I am in the Font View of Glyphs…and I'm gonna double click on this M…and I've set the width of this M to 1,000 units.…Now, if I go into Font Info, and go to the Font tab…you can it see that our units per M is 1,000.…So this M, that is 1,000 units wide…is also 1,000 units tall, which makes it a perfect M square.…
I need to recreate this in Illustrator.…So, I'm gonna switch over to Illustrator now…and I'm gonna create a new file…which is Command N…and I'll set the width and height to 1,000 points…which is equal to 1,000 units in Glyphs.…Click OK.…And now we have it.…So all that's missing are the guidelines.…To set guidelines in Illustrator…I'm going to need to hit, Command R…to show the rulers, and I'm gonna grab the origin point…and I'm gonna put it down here at the lower left.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.