There are a handful of rules governing the construction of shapes in type drawing.
- [Instructor] Drawing in Glyphs is a lot like…drawing in Illustrator.…I'm gonna draw a capital P or something resembling…a capital P using some of the tools here in the Glyphs…drawing palette, and I'm gonna start with this…Primitives tool for drawing rectangles.…Very much like drawing in Illustrator, so click and drag,…and you can see that, I'll switch to the…Selection tool there, but you can see that…there are bounding box handles around here…which will allow you to reshape,…and you can reshape the corner,…you can also hold down Shift to constrain the angle…and you can hold down Shift Command Option.…
Both constrain the shape,…and cause it to scale from the center.…So let's just make it a line.…And you can tell that the points are aligned…with their guidelines because they get this little…diamond-shaped halo around them.…Now I'm gonna use the Pen tool, and I just click…to make corner points, and click on the first point…to close the shape.…I can change from the Pen tool to the Selection tool…by holding down the Command key, and if I double-click…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designerwith Doyald Young1h 41m Appropriate for all
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Appropriate for all
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.