Starting with the period and the comma—we'll cover all other necessary punctuation and reference marks, and strategies for making them work well with letters.
- [Narrator] The size and shape of punctuation…are a balancing act.…Too small and they won't perform their function.…Too large and they'll look clunky.…Consider the context.…If you're designing a text typeface,…you'll want your punctuation to be large and clear.…If you're designing a display typeface,…you'll want your punctuation…slightly smaller and more refined.…Start with the period.…If you're designing a Sans,…choose between the squared or rounded punctuation.…Coordinate with the jots on the I and J.…Though the jots will generally be smaller than the period,…and sometimes markedly so,…they should have the same shape.…
Use the period for the colon, semicolon,…centered period, and ellipses.…Next, address the comma.…Consider the length and width of the hanging stroke.…If it's too short the comma will look…similar to the period at small sizes.…If it's too long it will look awkward in a line of type.…Coordinate the width of the stroke…with the other thin strokes in your design.…When the comma is finished,…you can complete the semicolon,…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.