Glyphs has a great little system for combining multiple parts into a new character. This section will explore using the mark-to-base method to compose accented characters from component parts.
- [Instructor] Glyphs has a great little system…for combining multiple parts into a new character.…This section will explore using the mark-to-base method…to compose accented characters from component parts.…Here I've created a very small font with three glyphs:…a lowercase a, an acute accent,…and a lowercase a with an acute.…Since the a acute is a combination of the other two glyphs,…I'll use the components to create a compound character.…First, I'll select the a acute by double-clicking.…And it comes in a little bit small,…so I'm gonna hit Command + zero to fit it in the window.…
So I need to add the a to this,…so I'm going to go to the Glyph menu…and choose Add Component.…And the a's not in this list,…so I'll just type a in the search…and choose a from the list…and hit select.…So Glyphs adds the a to my a acute glyph,…and also brings in the side bearings…and width from the component.…So now I have a copy of the a that needs an acute accent.…So again, I'm gonna choose Add Component…from the Glyph menu,…and I'll type acute into the search here.…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.