Background layers can contain drawings or alternate versions of glyphs (or parts of glyphs) as visual reference or for storage. This section will demonstrate the basic uses of background layers.
- [Teacher] Glyphs app has two thoughtful features…for keeping your drawings precise and consistent.…The first is the background layer.…Placing outlines on the background layer…is like slipping them under a sheet of tracing paper:…they're clear enough to be seen,…but faint enough to not interfere with the foreground.…The second feature is guidelines.…Guidelines can be any angle you want them to be,…not just horizontal and vertical, and they can be…local to the glyph you're working on or universal,…available across every glyph in the font.…Let's take a look at backgrounds first.…
I'll double-click on this cap B to enter the Edit view.…There are two commands that are essential…for working with backgrounds.…The first is Command+J, which sends…whatever is selected to the background.…So if I hit Command+A to select all, and then Command+J,…it doesn't look like anything's happened,…but if I move this top path out of the way,…you can see that a copy has been sent to the background.…The second command is…swap with background, Control+Command+J,…
- Measuring type
- Classifying type
- Using the Glyphs app tools, windows, layers, palettes, and menus
- Working with Glyphs app scripts
- Drawing letterforms and characters
- Using filters
- Creating punctuation and reference marks
- Deploying OpenType ligatures and stylistic sets
- Fitting and kerning
- Exporting and testing fonts
- Setting up masters and instances for a font family
Skill Level Beginner
The Creative Spark: Title Case, Typographic Artisanswith Jessica Hische28m 31s Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
1. An Introduction to Type Design
2. The Glyphs Workspace
3. Drawing Glyphs
4. Completing a Basic Glyphs Set
5. OpenType Features
6. Fitting and Kerning
7. Exporting and Testing
Font file types3m 56s
8. Multiple Masters
Next steps2m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.