Some workflows recommend using long running-branches as a strategy to avoid letting team members work on the master branch. In this video, explore some of the challenges with long-running branches and how you can avoid them.
- [Instructor] Putting merge strategies aside, … let's talk about branching strategies … and the branching model. … Hopefully by now, you're realizing … that Git gives us a lot of freedom and flexibility … in how our projects look. … Because of this, some organizations new to Git … with no defined strategies to begin their project with, … find that their history, workflows, and repositories … can quickly become a mess or convoluted. … One workflow and branching model … that has been around for a while … is called the Git-flow. … The difference between this flow … compared to the GitHub flow … is the number of long-lived branches … with this type of workflow. … The biggest problem with long-lived branches … is that many of them emerge … to only contain part of the changes that are occurring. … It's hard to figure out which branch … has the latest updates or code changes, … or which one is the main line branch … we deploy to production. … In fact, workflows like this often have helper scripts …
- Designing your delivery pipeline
- Enabling continuous integration (CI)
- Adding automated builds
- Making changes based on code reviews
- Adding unit testing
- Adding continuous delivery to your CI pipeline
- Examining commit relationships in Git
- Working with branches in Git
- Reverting changes
- Troubleshooting in Git
- Resolving merge conflicts
- Fine-tuning the GitHub flow
- Adopting an inner-source culture
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Fashion: Warping Pattern Fillswith Robin Schneider2h 51m Intermediate
Using lab.github.com2m 13s
1. The Modern Development Pipeline with GitHub
2. The Super Charged GitHub Flow in Action
3. Understanding How Git Works
4. Get Out of Anything with Git
5. Resolving Merge Conflicts
6. Customizing Your Workflows
Next steps1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.