Join Aaron Stewart for an in-depth discussion in this video Why commit relationships matter, part of GitHub Essential Training.
and see why commit relationships matter. … Similar to how a tree refers to each of these blobs … and a commit refers to that tree, … each commit has a special relationship … with the commit made before it. … When you make a commit, as shown in the previous image, … such as that commit message, the author and timestamp, … but it also refers to a parent commit before it. … Since this is our first commit, … the parent commit ID is blank … because there is no parent commit for the initial commit. … But let's say we add another commit, … after our first initial commit. … Notice how our new commit has all of the same objects … being referenced as our previous commit, … but it is also pointing back to the previous commit. … and see all of this information. … Let's now add another commit. … Notice that it looks incredibly similar … With each commit, Git has taken a snapshot of the project, … at that specific point in time and each commit … or snapshot references the commit or snapshot before it. …
- Designing your delivery pipeline
- Enabling continuous integration (CI)
- Adding automated builds
- Making changes based on code reviews
- Adding unit testing
- Adding continuous delivery to your CI pipeline
- Examining commit relationships in Git
- Working with branches in Git
- Reverting changes
- Troubleshooting in Git
- Resolving merge conflicts
- Fine-tuning the GitHub flow
- Adopting an inner-source culture
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Fashion: Warping Pattern Fillswith Robin Schneider2h 51m Intermediate
Using lab.github.com2m 13s
1. The Modern Development Pipeline with GitHub
2. The Super Charged GitHub Flow in Action
3. Understanding How Git Works
4. Get Out of Anything with Git
5. Resolving Merge Conflicts
6. Customizing Your Workflows
Next steps1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.