Learn how Jekyll themes work and the different methods of installing Jekyll themes. Nate demonstrates downloading and installing a theme into the existing Jekyll project.
- [Instructor] Jekyll uses packages called themes…to let you easily change the look and feel of your site.…There are tons of Jekyll themes available,…some free and some paid.…Sites like jekyllthemes.org and jekyllthemes.io…let you browse and discover new themes.…Most themes come with instructions…that will tell you how to install the theme in your project.…There are two common ways to install Jekyll themes…that you'll come across.…Some themes will tell you…to fork the theme repository on GitHub…and use that as a starting point for your project.…
If you pick a theme that uses this method,…you won't start your site using the Jekyll new command…I showed you earlier.…Instead after forking the theme repository,…you'll clone your fork using git clone.…And then you'll build your site…using the theme as the starting point.…Other themes give you the option…to install the theme as a gem.…If you aren't familiar with the Ruby terminology,…a gem is a downloadable package of Ruby code.…In this case, downloading a theme gem…can be a convenient way to add a theme to your project.…
- Advantages of static sites
- Installing Jekyll and Git
- Creating a new Jekyll site
- Installing themes
- Adding posts, pages, and static content
- Setting up for deployment with GitHub, Travis CI, Node, and npm
- Deploying to FTP, AWS, and Netlify
- Adding a custom, secure domain
Skill Level Beginner
Amazon Web Services Essential Trainingwith Jeff Winesett5h 2m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Storage and Data Managementwith Brandon Rich3h 50m Intermediate
1. How Static Sites Work
2. Set Up Jekyll
3. Build a Website
4. Prepare for Publishing
5. Deploy via FTP
6. Deploy to AWS
7. Deploy with Netifly
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.