Join Aaron Stewart for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring some Git options, part of Learning GitHub.
- [Instructor] Now that we have Git installed, … we need to set some Git configurations … before we can actually start making commits. … Git uses the config settings … for your username and email address … to generate a unique fingerprint … for each of the commits that you create. … You can't create commits without these settings. … So let's go ahead and set these configurations up now. … When it comes to creating Git configurations, … there are three different levels that Git allows … these configurations to be set. … The first level is called system. … These are system wide configurations … that apply to all users on that computer. … Think of this setting of being used … for a work station computer where multiple users … may be using the same computer. … If you need to set configurations to all users, … system is the way to go. … Next we have global configurations. … These configurations are based at the user level. … They only apply to that current user account. … So this means that Git configuration set at a global level …
- What is GitHub?
- The GitHub workflow
- Using the command line
- Creating branches
- Making a commit
- Creating and merging pull requests
- Working locally with GitHub Desktop
- Creating a new project
- Moving the project to GitHub
- Working with teams on GitHub
- Creating task lists
- Formatting text
Skill Level Beginner
Git Essential Training: The Basicswith Kevin Skoglund2h 55m Beginner
Using lab.github.com2m 13s
1. The Basics of Working on GitHub
2. Working Locally with the Command Line
3. Working Locally with GitHub Desktop
4. Moving Your Project to GitHub
5. Working with Others on GitHub
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.