Learn what a static site generator is and what it does. Nate discusses the most popular static site generator options and provides guidance on how to choose one for your project.
- [Instructor] To create a static site,…you could write all of the HTML files by hand,…but that would be a lot of work.…The easiest way to build a static site…is with a tool called a static site generator.…A static site generator lets you write your posts…or you pages in a simpler language like Markdown…and then automatically generates HTML for you…using a template.…Tools like Jekyll, Hexo, and Hugo…are some of the most popular static site generators.…The website staticgen.com has a comprehensive list…of static site generator projects.…
When it comes to picking a static site generator,…you should investigate a few things…before you decide on the tool you want to use.…First, what language or markup…will you need to write your content in?…Most static site generators use Markdown.…And if you're starting from scratch,…Markdown is definitely the simplest way to go.…However, if you're bringing existing content…in another format like AsciiDoc,…you'll need to investigate…which generators will support your content.…Next, unless you already have a design…
- Advantages of static sites
- Installing Jekyll and Git
- Creating a new Jekyll site
- Installing themes
- Adding posts, pages, and static content
- Setting up for deployment with GitHub, Travis CI, Node, and npm
- Deploying to FTP, AWS, and Netlify
- Adding a custom, secure domain
Skill Level Beginner
Amazon Web Services Essential Trainingwith Jeff Winesett5h 2m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Storage and Data Managementwith Brandon Rich3h 50m Intermediate
1. How Static Sites Work
2. Set Up Jekyll
3. Build a Website
4. Prepare for Publishing
5. Deploy via FTP
6. Deploy to AWS
7. Deploy with Netifly
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.