In this video, Nate dives deeper into the advantages of static sites and discusses why they are faster, cheaper, and more secure than other options like WordPress.
- [Instructor] Because the server only needs…to serve simple files, static sites load incredibly fast.…Fast loading times helps keep your users engaged…and can improve your search engine ranking as well.…Since you don't need a powerful or fancy server,…static sites are also very cheap to host.…In this course you'll learn how to host…a site using Amazon's S3 storage service…which cost pennies in most cases.…To give you an example, I host my own blog using S3…and on a typical month the bill is about three cents…for storage and maybe 50 or 60 cents for data transfer.…
Last year, I had one of my posts go viral…and the bill for tens of thousands of visitors…was still just three cents for storage…and a little over a dollar for data transfer.…This is much cheaper than most traditional hosting.…The final adventure static sites is security.…CMSs like WordPress and Drupal are huge targets for hackers…and new vulnerabilities are found and exploited…on a regular basis.…Unless you regularly update all of your CMS software…
- Advantages of static sites
- Installing Hugo and Git
- Creating a new Hugo site
- Building a new website
- Adding posts, pages, and static content
- Publishing your static site
- Deploying via FTP, AWS, and Netlify
Skill Level Beginner
Amazon Web Services Essential Trainingwith Jeff Winesett5h 2m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Storage and Data Managementwith Brandon Rich3h 50m Intermediate
1. How Static Sites Work
2. Set Up Hugo
3. Build a Website
4. Prepare for Publishing
5. Deploy via FTP
6. Deploy to AWS
7. Deploy with Netlify
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.