Learn how to use Git, the popular open-source version control software, to manage the source code for almost any project.
- [Kevin] Using Git as a source code management tool has become an essential skill for all web developers. Git helps you to manage the code in a project as you develop new features, helps to find and fix problems, and simplifies collaboration with other developers, whether they're in your office, or around the world. In this course, we will begin with the basics. We'll learn to install Git and understand its fundamental concepts. Then we'll cover the essential techniques you need to add files to a Git repository, to track changes to those files over time, and to view and compare previous versions of the files. Our goal is to become comfortable with the most common actions in Git so that you can use them effortlessly. I'm Kevin Skoglund. I'm a web developer who's been writing code for over 15 years, and I've been using Git for over 10 years. Git has helped me manage complex projects, and I firmly believe, helps me to write better code too. Whether your goal is to manage your own code, to collaborate with other developers, or to contribute to open source projects, Git is a powerful tool that can help you. It's changed my life as a developer, and I can't wait to share it with you. Let's get started learning the fundamentals of Git.
- Exploring the history of version control
- Installing Git on Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Initializing a repository
- Writing useful commit messages
- The Git three-tree architecture
- Tracking when files are added, edited, deleted, or moved
- Viewing change sets and comparing versions
- Undoing changes and retrieving previous versions
- Ignoring changes to select files
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Git?
2. Install Git
3. Getting Started
4. Git Concepts and Architecture
5. Make Changes to Files
6. Use Git with a Real Project
7. Undo Changes
8. Ignore Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.