Normally, Git ignores empty directories. Learn a simple trick to getting Git to track them.
- In this movie, … I want us to talk about how you can … track empty directories in Git. … Git is designed to be a file tracking system. … It tracks files, … it tracks the directories it takes to get to files, … but it ignores directories that have no files in it. … Let me demonstrate. … You may be surprised to realize that right now, … Git is not tracking out Explorers file. … Why? … Because if I open it up, you can see that it's empty. … The Resources directory is being tracked … because it has a file inside. … How can we prove this? … Let's come over here and let's just type in a command. … This is a more advanced command … you don't need to learn how to do, … but I want to demonstrate with git ls-tree. … It's listing the files in the tree, … that's what it's doing. … I want to tell it to list everything that is at the head, … so right at the last commit, … what does that tree look like on Git? … It's going to list off a bunch of things here … you don't need to worry about, … but notice on this side we have a list …
- Exploring the history of version control
- Installing Git on Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Initializing a repository
- Writing useful commit messages
- The Git three-tree architecture
- Tracking when files are added, edited, deleted, or moved
- Viewing change sets and comparing versions
- Undoing changes and retrieving previous versions
- Ignoring changes to select files
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Git?
2. Install Git
3. Getting Started
4. Git Concepts and Architecture
5. Make Changes to Files
6. Use Git with a Real Project
7. Undo Changes
8. Ignore Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.