Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow this course, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Freelance/Independent Website.
- View Offline
- In this course, we'll build a personal portfolio website for a freelance contractor, using WordPress and the Genesis Framework. The goal here, is that once you're done watching, you'll have a fully functional website to showcase your work, and invite people to hire you. To follow along, there's a few things you'll need. First, you need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout this course, I'll be working on a live site, and you should do the same. If you don't already have a site set up and ready to go, check out the short course, WordPress and Genesis DIY, Setting up Genesis, here in the lynda.com library.
I created this course specifically to get you up and running with the WordPress and Genesis DIY series as quickly as possible. I'll be doing a lot of work in the WordPress admin area during this course, so if this is the first time you're using WordPress, or its been a while since you've logged in, take a little time to familiarize yourself by checking out the WordPress Essential Training course, here in the lynda.com library. The last thing you'll need is your own content. After all, the goal of this course is for you to build your own site, and you can only do that with your own content.
Now, we barely started this course, and I've already mentioned that scary word, content. Creating content is where most folks tend to struggle, but don't stress. During this course, I'll give you some tips on how to determine what type of content you need, where it should go on your site, and how you can set it up. Together, we'll create an awesome site.
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring theme settings
- Finding and installing plugins
- Adding custom styles
- Securing your site and managing spam