Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow this course, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Small Business Website.
- In this course, we'll build a website for small businesses, using WordPress and the Genesis framework. The goal is that once you're done watching, you'll have a fully functional website that highlights your offerings and invites people to use your services or purchase your products. To follow along, there's a few things you'll need. First, you'll need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout the course, I'll be working on a live site, and you should do the same. If you don't already have a site set up and ready to go, you can check out the short course, WordPress and Genesis DIY: Setting up Genesis here in the lynda.com library.
I created this course specifically to get you up and running with this WordPress and Genesis DIY series as quickly as possible. I'll be spending a lot of time in the WordPress admin area during this course. So if this is the first time you're using WordPress, or you're feeling a little rusty, take a little time to familiarize yourself by checking out the WordPress Essential Training course here in the lynda.com library. The last thing you'll need is your own content. After all, the goal for this course is for you to build your site and you can only do that with your own content.
Creating content can be challenging for folks, but don't stress out. During this course I'll give you some tips on how to determine what type of content you need, where it should go in the site, and how you can set it up. Together, we're gonna create an awesome site.
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring theme settings
- Finding and installing plugins such as Ninja Forms
- Adding custom styles
- Securing your site and managing spam