Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video What you'll need to follow along in this course, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Showcasing Photography.
- In this course we'll build a new photography website from the ground up using WordPress and the Genesis framework. The goal is that once you're done watching you'll have a fully functional website for your photography business, or your personal photography project. In order to do that there's a few things you'll need to follow along with in this course. First you'll need a live WordPress site hosted somewhere on the web. Throughout this course I'll be working on a live site, and I recommend that you do too. As a matter of fact, when you're done watching this course you can actually view the site I built over at wpdiy.net.
Don't go looking for that now, because we've got some work to do. If you don't already have a site setup and ready to go, then you can check out this course WordPress DIY: Setting Up WordPress & Genesis here in the lynda.com library. That course will show you exactly what you need to know to get up and running quickly with your WordPress site. During this course I'll be doing a lot of work in the WordPress admin area, if you're not familiar with how WordPress works or not super comfortable with it I highly recommend taking a little bit of time to familiarize yourself.
If this is your first time using WordPress, or you just need a little refresher, I recommend checking out the WordPress Essential Training Course in the lynda.com library. Finally, you need your own content. Like I said, the goal of this course is to get your own photography website up and running. To do that you'll need to gather your text, your images, and anything else you need to get your website up and running. Now if you're not sure exactly what kind of content you need don't worry, we're about to cover that shortly. Together we'll walk through the process of figuring out what content we need, where it should go on the site and how to get everything setup.
Ready for the next stage? Find more courses in this series by searching for Wordpress DIY..
- Preparing to build a photography site
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring theme settings
- Setting up menus and social media
- Adding custom styles
- Securing your site and managing spam