Gain a deeper understanding of the Genesis Framework as you build a custom child theme from scratch with PHP and CSS.
- Hi, I'm Carrie Dils, and I'd like to welcome you to WordPress in Genesis: Building Child Themes From Scratch. In this course, we'll start with a blank page and turn it into a fully-functioning child theme for the Genesis Framework. By the end of this course, you'll have a solid understanding of the basic components that go into theme creation. First, we'll lay out the basic files and structure for a theme. Then, we'll look at how to remove the default Genesis components that we don't need, and add in the features that we want. We'll also take a look at how you can use CSS to add visual structure to your code.
Finally, I'll show you the steps to prep your site for use in the real world. Your journey to the art of Genesis child theming starts right here, and I'm excited to be your guide, so giddy up and let's get started.
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.